Portugal Cycling Journey
An Epic Ride along the West Portuguese Coast
Type of Bicycle
Touring or Road Bike
- Riding Days: 13
- Daily Distance: 30 – 60 km
- Route: Coastal Roads, Forest Roads and Dedicated Bike Lanes
- Daily Elevation: 200 to 600 m
- Private Guided possibility, ask us for a quote: email@example.com
- Day 1 – Arrival
Welcome and transfer to Porto. After initial briefing with experienced guide there is time to explore this delightful City and its charms.
- Day 2 – Ride from Porto to Espinho
The first riding day takes you from Porto along the Douro river out to the Ocean. Once you arrive to the coast you will use dedicated bike lanes heading south towards Espinho, passing by the beautiful chapel of Senhor da Pedra.
- Day 3 – Ride from Espinho to Aveiro
Another great day riding along flat terrain and across a Natural Park. take some time to rest in Furadouro. Once you arrive to the estuary, there is a ferry crossing. just admire the landscape because your destination is very close, Aveiro, the Venice of Portugal.
- Day 4 – Ride from Aveiro to Praia de Mira
Leave Aveiro behind you and keep riding flat terrain. Don’t miss the beautiful fishing villages along the coast and with typical housing that characterizes this region, just beautiful!
- Day 5 – Ride from Mira to Figueira da Foz
Once more the ride develops along the flat terrains along the coast, surrounded by pine tree forests and with lots of bike lanes that will take to Figueira da Foz, a fishing town that evolved to become a bourgeois coastal city.
- Day 6 – Figueira da Foz to Monte Real
Leaving Figueira da Foz it is time to cross the Mondego river to continue in direction south. the pine tree forests continue to make you company and the heading is Monte Real a traditional Spa area of Portugal.
- Day 7 – Ride from Monte Real to Nazaré
The flat terrain and pine trees are still present and this time your ride will be closer to the ocean front. take your time to visit Pedrogão, Vieira and São Pedro de Moel. this last village is a beautiful bourgeois beach resort from the seventies with an atmosphere that will make you love it. Your goal is to arrive to Nazaré, the famous fishing city that gain notoriety because its winter swells that produce the biggest waves in the planet.
- Day 8 – Ride from Nazaré to Óbidos
OK, half way is accomplished. Now it is time to go for the second half and Xplore the rest of the ride and discover the remaining charms that this trip has reserved for you. Today, you will spend some time contemplating São Martinho do Porto, Foz do Arelho and Obidos Lagoon… but the charm is at the destination, the historical castle walled village of Óbidos!
- Day 9 – Ride from Obidos to Peniche
Leaving Obidos behind and the fabulous experience at this marvelous place you will ride along the lagoon back to the coast. Once you arrive to Baleal, you will encounter a culture that breaths surf… this is Peniche in modern days and also your destination.
- Day 10 – Ride from Peniche to Vimeiro
The ride becomes more wavy in terms of terrain and the flat areas are already a couple of days behind you… but this is good for a change. It is time to get to know more the Portuguese culture and interact with locals while riding comfortable roads.
- Day 11 – Ride Vimeiro to Ericeira
From Vimeiro there is a captivating gorge that will bring you back to the coast and towards Santa Cruz beach. Have a break and grab a coffee – “bica”. The direction is south towards Ericeira, this is a picturesque fishing village that became the beach resort of Lisbon during last century, take our words and arrive early to visit this village.
- Day 12 – Ride from Ericeira to Sintra
Great… you made it this far. your goal for this day is Sintra is an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1995, and this location will show you why. With an amazing historical center with all the picturesque architecture, you will be in the heart of this renowned Portuguese historical city. Arrive early and take your time in town.
- Day 13– Ride from Sintra to Cascais
From the historical center you will climb towards the Moorish Castle and admire the views from the castle walls. From there it is time to enter the gardens of the fabulous Pena Palace and obviously visit this royal accommodation of the kings of Portugal in the XVIII century. Once you are done with the visit it is time to return to the bike and ride trough the forests of the Natural Park of Sintra, back to the coast and admire the views from the top of the mountain towards Cascais, your destination.
- Day 14 – Ride from Cascais to Lisbon
This is it… the last riding day. From Cascais you will ride the Estoril coast to get to Lisbon. along the way you will visit some of the most typical beaches for the people of Lisbon, like Carcavelos and Santo Amaro and visit some of the old fortresses that defended the entrance of the river to get to Lisbon. part of the ride will be in dedicated bike lanes and the rest by the access to Lisbon, but always riding along the coast. Once ion Lisbon… there is so much to visit and admire!
- Day 15 – Departure
After discovering all the magical places of the west coast of Portugal it is time to go and maybe start to plan your next adventure… and remember there is still a lot to #XPLORE in Portugal!
- Availability: All Year Round
- Low Season: 1700€ per person (based in a double room occupation. 600€ individual room supplement)
- Mid Season: 1950€ per person (based in a double room occupation. 700€ individual room supplement)
- High Season: 2100€ per person (based in a double room occupation. 800€ individual room supplement)
- Solo Traveler? It is possible, just ask for a quote
- It is possible to ask for extra nights, please ask for a quote
- 14 nights lodging with breakfast included
- Transfer on day 1 from OPO Airport
- Transfer from last Hotel to LIS Airport
- Detailed briefing by experienced guide and delivery of booklet with info about the tour
- Luggage transfer from Hotel to Hotel
- GPS Track and Device for navigation
- Portuguese Telephone (for emergencies and as a courtesy)
- Liability and personal accidents insurance
- Xplore Portugal gift
We create memories
“As recreational riders we really appreciated this trip!”
What a great way to visit Portugal. Joining Porto to Lisbon with enough time to visit everything in between was a great idea! Everything went as smoothly as possible even the weather helped. We really recommend this tour.